View Single Post
Old 07-27-2013, 04:50 AM
katykwilt

Originally Posted by Chis2 View Post
Now if someone could tell me how to iron out the center fold of the fabric . I have never been able to do that I just try to cut around it but sometimes you can not
I always wash my fabrics when they come home from the store -- mostly because I sometimes store them a long time and don't want any unwanted product eating at the cotton. After washing them I fold them by holding one selvage edge towards itself, then again in half the same way, keeping each selvage edge on opposite sides of longer fold (WOF). Usually I buy half yards or full yards. When they are folded across the grain this way, they are nicely uniform and store easily.

Rarely do I have any problems with the center fold when I take the fabrics out to use. Yes, they need to be pressed, but I have the opportunity to add starch or just iron at that time, depending on the pattern, bias cuts, etc.

My perception is the extra finishing products and pressing is what makes that center crease so defined. By washing as soon as you can, it gets rid of the products and by folding against the grain instead of with it, it will prevent that awful line. Since washing also lets you see if the fabric was cut correctly and straightens out any parts that pulled the fabric off the straight of the grain, it's a 2 for 1 effort.