View Single Post
Old 07-27-2013, 05:28 AM
Geri B

Originally Posted by newestnana View Post
I've never really understood this concept. What would happen (to the batting) if there was no quilting in the sashings or borders? I've frequently left borders or sashings unquilted. In fact the rule would pretty much rule out any all vertical quilting (etc) and imply there always has to be some 90 degree quilting as well. Another row of quilting in the sashing would still not resolve the "in all directions" requirement, would it? What am I

I understand that extra quilting might look nice...

If you ever had a store bought lofty comforter that is very widely quilted you see that after a while between washing s and usage that batting begins to migrate and "lump" up.....don't want that to happen to something you have put a lot of work,money and love into. It does not mean this voids anything that may be quilted directionally, I think it just means the spaces between those quilted lines should not be excessively wide which would not keep that batting in place and thus cause sagging, lumping, migrating or whatever. Especially nowadays when everything is washed in machines and then plopped into a dryer on HOT---and in some cases more often than necessary causing some serious damage to fabric and stitching.....JMHO