View Single Post
Old 07-27-2013, 06:36 AM
Jan in VA

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Originally Posted by Jackietellijohn60 View Post
Jan, I'm relatively new to this board AND quilting, but always read your posts because you seem so knowledgeable and experienced. Do you hand quilt many of your creations?
Jackie,
Thank you for your kind words!

I do hand quilt, though fewer projects than I'd like to because I have some nerve damage in both hands. With this I can barely feel the needle in my fingers, so I no longer use a thimble (I know, gasp!). I use my nail to push the needle and there fore rarely take more than one stitch at a time. And, believe it or not, I have only pushed that needle under the nail a couple of times in many years of handquilting.

I use a larger needle -- so I can be more aware of it -- and often like to use a larger thread of contrasting color so that my larger stitches show up well; I feel they add to the design.

Threads I use might be Sulky brand 12 wt. cotton (pretty blendables), perle cotton #8 (in the little balls), Sashiko thread (Sashiko is a Japanese style of stitching), leftover candlewicking thread (which is now hard to find but is very much like candlewicking thread) and even #10 crochet thread. I love the #10 crochet thread because it can be found at Walmart, and other easy places, in those BIG balls which are easier to keep up with while quilting!

The photos below show close-ups of one of my "big stitch" quilts. I usually take 5-6 stitches to the inch with these threads, rather than the regular handquilting's 8-12 stitches per inch with regular or waxed hand quilting thread.

Jan in VA
Attached Thumbnails floral-pinwheel-big-stitch.jpg   floral-pinwheel-big-stitch-closeup.jpg   bigstitch-quilting-closeup-1.jpg