View Single Post
Old 07-27-2013, 07:22 AM
cricket_iscute

Originally Posted by DanofNJ View Post
I've found that the 301's really don't work well for FMQ, the angle of attach of the needle doesn't lend itself, IMHO, to consistency in stitch or motion. Most FMQer's, I believe, will agree with this. Though the machine does have a vertical bobbin, a "straight" up down motion will yield better results such as in the 15-91 etc. The needle, in my experience, gets hung up with the slanted attack in the piercing. I'm sure there are some who can do it, but I've tried with the 301 and it doesn't yield good results for me. For straight stitching, it does beautifully, but certainly not the first choice for FMQ.
Thank you for answering, DanofNJ. I wish I was closer so I could take a look at the machine for you. I've never had problems with a 301 and I wonder if yours might need an adjustment? What foot do you use? That can make a difference. Or, forgive me for saying this, it could be technique, maybe just a small thing. I've never had a problem with stitch quality on a 301 and I've free motion quilted at least 50 quilts on mine. (I have two.) If you ever find yourself and your machine in Massachusetts, I'd be happy to help you with this.