View Single Post
Old 07-27-2013, 09:23 PM
JanTx

Default It's a mess, but it's done. Sigh

My grandson picked out this super hero fabric while I was getting pellon at Walmart. When I turned around he had the bolt on the cutting table and was looking around innocently like "how did that get there?". He's six. So, of course, he's getting a quilt with super heroes. I'm putting a black print on the back so it's not so limited to his age.

Anyway... the pattern is wrong - for a twin size you are supposed to make 7 blocks across with 6 blocks down and two borders. That makes a short squatty quilt that will not fit a twin bed. I know this because I'd used the pattern for a different quilt and had to adjust the borders to make it fit. If you make it 6 across and 7 down it's 70 X 105 which will work. I've written the pattern designer to make her aware of this. I'm not even sure if that's the right thing to do, but that's a topic for another thread.

I didn't realize - or didn't THINK - that I was making 4 patches that were rectangles. I've done this many times with squares. So .... it MATTERED which way you put them together. So I lost the diagonal secondary pattern. I didn't realize this until I was nearly through putting the rows together and ... I just kept sewing.

The red blocks are 3 different fabrics - had to do that to have enough. I meant to use the yellow fabric as the outer border, but ended up making it more narrow to add the black outer border. Since I'll be pulling the backing over - and it's black - I thought that would work better.

You're also looking at two different bubble fabrics. I ran out of that too. Can you tell I was determined to use things from my stash to go with these super heroes? No trip back to the fabric store for me!

So - pattern written wrong, rectangles put together more wrong than right, cobbling together enough red fabric to finish the quilt, two different bubble/polka fabrics, playing with borders - a mess.

BUT - this grandboy is going to absolutely love this quilt. I've already given him a pillow case in the fabric and he asked me to make another one like it for his same-aged cousin - that's done too. Perfect is wonderful, but DONE and happily received will be okay too.
Attached Thumbnails img_2334%5B1%5D.jpg   img_2335%5B1%5D.jpg  

Last edited by JanTx; 07-27-2013 at 09:28 PM.