View Single Post
Old 07-28-2013, 10:12 AM
mom-6

Just completed the second top this month all from stash!
This one is a fairly small throw, even with borders added. Had all these little triangles left from doing flying geese so started sewing them together. Then had to add a coordinating triangle to make the square. Next thing I knew I had navy and purple spinning star blocks. Not big enough for anything yet. . . Only a dozen ~5-1/2" blocks. Hmmm - let's see what will go nicely with that as alternating blocks. Tried several different fabrics before this one yelled "me, me, pick me". Still not going to be very big. Oh, how about sashing. Since the blocks were small I just cut it 1-1/2" wide. For the cornerstones I wanted a bit of contrast but still keeping the 1/4 sq triangles the bright spot so that was an easy choice to use a fabric close to the color of the purple stars. Then figured a narrow border of the fabric from the 1/4sq triangles would help accent as well. Next was a bit wider border of the purple from the stars, then the fabric from the alternating squares and finally the navy from the stars. Thinking about using the fabric from the sashing as binding.

Hope I can find the app again that I had to resize pictures. My phone ended up taking a nose dive into a portapotty so I'm having to redownload all my apps to this new phone. What a nuisance!