View Single Post
Old 07-29-2013, 04:59 AM
meanmom

I am working on organizing my stash, slowly. I have too much. I have what I call my ugly fabric. Some is from when I first started quilting, some form yard sales, some given to me. A friend was here and freaked out over the pretty stuff (my uglies). I gave her what she need for 2 quilts and she was thrilled. She wouldn't take more. SHe doesn't have much money for fabric and was thrilled to get it. I use it to make donation quilts and try out new designs which go into doll quilts for Salvation army. I have a pile of doll quilts to quilt that I have collected to use for practice for a FMQ class I plan to do on Craftsy.
I have been trying to not buy fabric for the past year and a half. I only buy pits and pieces to complete projects. I have made the last 4 quilts, only buying a little fabric, mostly from my stash. My rule for the year has been to only buy fabric with a specific project in mind. No buying just because it is pretty. I skipped 2 quilt shows because I knew I would buy too much. Saved me a lot of money. I also piece my backs out of my stash. Sometimes I make a giant block from the front for the back. I try to use up the scraps from the front on the back. I plan to donate a bunch of fabric at the end of the year. Probably to Ronald McDonald house. I have been making pillow cases for charity. Uses up a lot of fabric, fast.