Old 07-29-2013, 05:45 AM
seamstome

Cool Strangest reaction to a quilt---I take the prize!

I have to start this story with the fact my niece has Asperger's. While she is very high functioning, every once in awhile, it just slaps you in the face that she is different.

So my niece graduated from HS and I suggested to my sister that I would make a memory quilt. My sister really wanted this done and bought all the fabric. Now when it started out, in my mind, I was doing T-shirts and transfers of her prize-winning art onto fabric. Ultimately, it ended up about 1/3 that kind of stuff and 2/3 pictures of her from baby til graduation.

I get the quilt together and then in the sashing while it was still a top, as an embellishment, I FMQ'd words in script in different color threads to describe her. The first letter of each word spelled out her name. Like for B--I had bright and for R--I had Reflective, which you will see was quite appropriate! I have to admit, it turned out cute! Lucky for me she has three short names.

The party was yesterday. The room has a cathedral ceiling. My sister hung the quilt high over the dessert table. The niece must have walked by it ten times without seeing it. Everybodyelse in the room commented. There were about 40 people there.

Then the niece sees it and gets the strangest look on her face. I am prepared for anything. In my mind, I made this quilt to make my sister happy so if the niece loves it or hates it I don't care but I was not prepared for this.

My niece pops out with....When did you put that up. That's my face up there on a blanket. Wow, that just freaks me out.

All day, she just kept looking at it. At one point, she commented that she didn't know about putting it on her bed since it would be like her looking through herself. Way too deep for me.

So when your family doesn't like your quilt, realize it could be worse. LOL!