View Single Post
Old 07-29-2013, 08:54 AM
Judi in Ohio

I love scrappy, but I can't just throw fabric together either. I'm better than I was, but I like some harmony. I think value is super important and some peoples failure is the fact that they can't seem to find that value balance. That said, more colors seem to go together than what I would have thought before my really scrappy days. Like reds and pinks just sort of blend as a value, and purple is a neutral to a certain extent - I have several of the eggplant purples and they go with most everything.
I do my scraps in tubs of strip sizes. I have a 1 1/2" tub one in med/darks and another in lights - I love my neutrals - a 2" tub of lights that is shared with my 2 1/2" light strips, my 1 1/2" strip med/darks is huge and over flowing. When I decided to go scrappy I'd buy 1 yd of different colors and patterns - no reason, I just had to like it. Then cut a strip of 1 1/2", 2", and 2 1/2" strips from it and fold away the left overs for bigger block parts. It was an ideal situation for me. What I had was stuff from Joann's and lesser quality and I used to wash before sewing. Now I just do qsq and don't wash. I thought it better to start with really good stuff and all treated the same. My first scrappies were log cabins and I think that pattern is a great teacher for scrappy and value uses.
You just eed to cut lose and have fun.