Old 07-29-2013, 10:40 AM
ArchaicArcane

Plume, I wonder if the post on your 401 is a little too far out from the body, and rocking it back to clean it might have reseated the disks and given them less play. It's a guess. Technically oiling / greasing the under bits shouldn't have anything to do with the upper tension.

My guess on the 401 on Elizabeth's blog is that it's a 401A. The needlebar has a USA stamp on the side of it. That's just a guess though.

Sheluma - my oldest kitty, now gone, used to nurse both of our remaining kitties, despite never having been a mom. One of the kitties actually chewed holes from nursing too long (past the milk teeth stage), and she would cry but not stop her. The vet said she'd put a stop to it when it hurt her enough. She didn't. Eventually, I was desperate to stop it, and I put a toddler jumpsuit on her all the time when I was home, and separated them when I wasn't. It broke the habit, she healed up and they were all fine.

Tisch - depending on the weird smell, it could be "long unused vintage motor" smell. If it's really strong though, it could use a looking at. The motor can be removed and the oil cleaned out if that's the issue, but I'd do like miriam suggested and check everything else out first.

Personally, I don't find the Singer needles to be what they used to be. I use schmetz 130/705 15x1 needles in the slants and have never had a problem. Organ is also good, and you should see one or more of the same markings on the Organ needles (they may say 130, or 130/705, or 705, or 15x1) or they may say HAx1

All of the designations hurt my head. Cathy does certainly know her stuff.

The 401, 411, 431 are all -basically- the same machine.
  • The 401A doesn't chainstitch and isn't treadle-able.
  • I think by Miriam's photos that the G doesn't chain either, I don't see a chaining guide by the tensioner, but can be treadled. They both have the "elevator plate".
  • The 411G can be treadled and can chainstitch, it also has the elevator plate. This is my favorite variant of the series.
  • The 431G is the Convertible (or open arm) version of the series. It can't be treadled - no hinges on the back, but it does chainstitch. It has the lift off plates instead of the elevator plates. Probably for lack of room in the " open arm"

I suppose one of these days I should get off my rump and post some pics of the 431G for comparision.