View Single Post
Old 07-29-2013, 04:01 PM
alisonquilts

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
....And I'll add ... once you do one at a less than realistic price, you have set a precedent. So what then, when that same person says I'd like another? .... or a dozen...
I agree in principle, QuiltE, but there are exceptions. As a "foot in the door" move I once underpriced myself to get an initial commission (basically covered materials, plus enough extra for an expensive bar of chocolate) gambling that this particular person would request other quilts and be willing to pay a higher price when she saw what I could do. It paid off for me, and she has been a loyal customer for three separate projects so far, with a fourth pending. If I hadn't lowballed my initial "bid" (on the now defunct Alchemy section of Etsy) I would not have got her repeat business.

Originally Posted by SemiSweet View Post
When calculating the cost of your time, don't forget the added stress of making sure you "get it right" for someone that's paying for it. When I make make one for myself I don't worry that much if there are flaws. I worry a bit about a gift, but usually I know they'll be so touched by the gift that they won't notice mistakes. I would feel the most stress about doing something on commission.
This is very true, and is something I wrestle with each time I make a commissioned quilt. I haven't had any negative reactions so far...but I am always nervous right 'til the end! It is the worst part of the process for me.

Alison