Old 07-31-2013, 01:39 AM
miriam
Power Poster

Originally Posted by manicmike View Post
... get really hot in Summer. Yes, I could sew up a storm and be really comfortable living in my car

Have to also share a (true) story from the beginning of this month. A friend of mine organised to visit on a Sunday morning after the meeting of his scooter club, in order to get my 1957 Lambretta started.
So, eight people turn up: six men and two of their wives. After getting the beast (ha ha) working, we're all chatting away. I mentioned to the guy who started the scooter about my sewing machines. Another guy turned around and said "sewing machines?". Seems all but one of them were *very* interested in old sewing machines, and most of them could sew. We went inside and marvelled at all the lovely old machines, spoke of the decals and different models etc.
The women did that disinterested eye-roll thing, normally reserved for when men are standing around looking at cars. One of the guys actually suggested having a day where we all come over to his house, do a bit of sewing, he'll cook lunch, talk about scooters...

This really happened, and if the meeting eventuates, I'm taking a camera (nobody will believe it otherwise).

Mike
I am not one tiny little bit surprised at you guys and sewing. I would say 75% - 95% of the machines I sell have gone to men or men have come along with women. Usually men who either sew or want to sew or they are VERY interested in the machines. So far not one man has admitted to being a quilter. They love the machines and they come up with all kinds of things they want to make. Most want a machine for a business venture of some sort. I love it. I've had to teach a few how to work a machine. They are very intense about learning. My boss sews. I've never seen anything he's made but he loves to sew costumes. One guy has a little business sewing bow ties - he's bought 2 machines. Another guy sews bicycle bags and he's had two machines. Another guy bought one to learn to sew so he can teach himself upholstery. He was catching on when he left. Another guy makes puppets. Another guy was mending sails on his boat. Another guy bought one for his sister. And on it goes. I love it when bikers show up. They go nuts over the old machines. One guy bought a machine because his wife won't let him use hers. She is so smart...