Old 07-31-2013, 05:16 AM
nanna-up-north

I'm not surprised either. Back in the early 70s I was teaching Home Ec at a middle school where the girls took Home Ec while the boys took wood shop. Then they'd switch and I'd have only boys for 6 weeks. The boys were very focused on the sewing and the cooking. They made some great things. Later on, co-ed class became the 'way to do things' and I'd have both girls and boys in class at the same time. The boys were still more focused and got the better job most of the time. I don't know if they were afraid they'd be outdone so they tried harder or because the girls acted so flighty around the boys. But guys certainly appreciate well made machines so maybe that's why they like the vintage machines so much.

My DMIL never did any sewing so when I got married (48 years ago) my DH would sit and watch me..... it used to make me nervous..... but he was really fascinated at my putting together things with my sewing machine. He's not so fascinated now a days, but he still is really happy for me when I find another sewing treasure and often points them out at auctions if I don't see them right off.