Thread: help on AOTH.
View Single Post
Old 07-31-2013, 05:27 AM
feline fanatic
Power Poster

I too do not know what AOTH stands for but as a LA quilter who has done several hand ebroidered quilts and one machine embroidered quilt and done a little hand embroidery myself, I embroider when the block is still just a block, not even sewn into the quilt top yet. I can't imagine an embroidery machine handling the bulk of a completed quilt very well while trying to embroider a design but I guess it can be done because many people use digitized machine embroider motifs to do the actual quilting.

Sounds to me like the LA quilter who gave you this advice can only do pantos. A custom quilting job can avoid the heavily embroidered areas which could cause the LA machine to not be happy going through that heavy bulk. Hand embroidery should also be custom quilted but I have seen many examples that look quite good of quilting going right over the embroidery. (Like a cross hatch) I tend to quilt around it because I want the quilting to be secondary to the embroidery work.

Here are some examples of custom quilting around embroidery.

This is where I went around Machine embroidery, quilting over this would not have looked nice nor would my machine have like it:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]427346[/ATTACH]

Here is an example of quilting around hand embroidery to enhance and compliment, but I have seen an allover cross hatch done on this kind of embroidery done very effectively:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]427347[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails izzies-quilt-poodle-princess.jpg   one-horse-open-sleigh-embroidery.jpg  

Last edited by feline fanatic; 07-31-2013 at 05:29 AM.