Old 07-31-2013, 10:30 AM
Prism99
Power Poster

ARGH!!! I just pressed the wrong key and destroyed my post!!! Here goes again.....

For straight edge rulers, you want to try to stay with the same brand. Having at least two straight edge rulers helps with straightening fabric edges for cutting. I would suggest Olfa brand frosted nonstick rulers for this (what I would get if I were starting out today!). For this and all other supplies, do you have someone who could order them over the internet for you so they are in the U.S. when you arrive? Many of these things are not stocked in local stores. (Local stores will stock stuff, but not necessarily the brand you want.) Olfa rulers are priced pretty well at http://www.overstock.com . As for sizes, I would suggest 16x24 and 6x12 to start with.

For cutting half-square triangles, I recommend this ruler: http://www.amazon.com/Quilting-Angle...dp/B005KC3L4U/ . Although it also comes in a larger size, this is the most useful. It is better to get this one ruler than a set of triangle rulers. The beauty of this ruler is that it cuts off the "dog ear" on one side of the triangle, making it easier to sew the triangles together accurately. With half-square triangles you can sew two triangles together to make a square and there are a ***lot*** of patterns that use HSTs.

For bed quilts, I recommend starting out with Hobbs 80/20 batting. (Connecting Threads sometimes has 30% off sales on it.) This is the only batting that many quilters ever use, as it is great for either hand or machine quilting. Not sure what to recommend for table runners, although I think Mountain Mist Lite polyester might be a good choice for that (JoAnn fabric stores usually carry this batting and it is inexpensive).

How to you plan to baste your quilts together? Many quilters now prefer using basting spray (505 is the best, but you cannot take these sprays on an airplane) or Elmer's white washable school glue (some people purchase this in the gallon size). Considering limitations, you might want to purchase safety pins just in case you need to pin your quilt together. Go to a quilting shop for these (or buy online from a quilter's source). You want a very small size (I bought 0 size, I think) and the brass safety pins (will not rust, unlike nickel plated).

I looked up your sewing machine online. It would be okay for piecing, but is too small and not sufficiently heavy-duty for quilting. You need as much space under the arm of the machine as you can get in order to stuff your quilt through while quilting. In India you should be able to find vintage-style machines (look like vintage black Singers) that are sufficiently heavy-duty and that have more space under the arm.

You can use a freestanding cone with any sewing machine if you can feed the thread properly to the machine. I like the newer Superior Thread stand (about $30, I think) as it can be used in a variety of situations that I have at home. Since you are starting out, you can probably make do with a jar to hold the cone and maybe a large safety pin taped to the machine. It would probably be easier for you at this point to just buy spools of thread rather than a cone, as you will probably not use up a cone for a very long time!

Last edited by Prism99; 07-31-2013 at 10:33 AM.