View Single Post
Old 07-31-2013, 10:56 AM
cindi

Originally Posted by MartiMorga View Post
I think that if you are doing this for a "living" than yes, charge like you have a real job - $10/hr or more. If you are doing it because you love to do it and would really like to make this for your friend's son, than just charge for the materials, matter a fact take her with you and let her pay the cashier. I get a kick out of people who think they do such a good job that they need to be paid the top dollar for a hobby. Sorry, but unless you are doing this as a business (which I could not do, don't like making two of the same thing), you should be happy to have the materials covered. A friend of my husband, his wife was making stuffed animals, you know the panels you buy and cut out, assemble and stuff - I wanted to be kind and courteous, and complimented her on a dinosaur she made. Said, "wow, that is cute, I have a nephew who really likes dinosaurs, bet he would love it." She made one and her husband brought it over and of course as surprised as I was I asked what I owed her, $25!!!! Got out the purse, paid and was much less enthusiastic when complimenting people. So - some of us are pretty proud of our work, but are we all we think we are?
I have been following this thread because I'm interested in what others have to say about charging. Yes, I'm VERY proud of my work. No, I don't make quilts as a "business", per say, but when I'm asked to make a quilt, I do treat it as a business. Yes, I am one of those people who feel I do "such a good job that they need to be paid top dollar for a hobby". My quilts ARE beautiful, and I'm not afraid to say so. I've worked hard at my hobby to become as good as I am. And there isn't one person that I've made a quilt for - whether it be gifted or paid for - that didn't tell me as much. And that's because I made them exactly what they wanted made, and they've been informed every step of the way during the process so there were no surprises. No, I'm not being conceited, but proud of what has taken many years to learn. I do think I'm all I am. I won't downgrade myself just because this isn't my "real job". One can be good at something and choose when and if they want to make money at it. I tend to undercharge - when I do charge for a job, but that's my choice and I don't often charge. Be proud of the work you've done - never underestimate yourself or you'll always be stuck thinking you're never "good enough" to be paid!