View Single Post
Old 08-01-2013, 04:44 AM
Bneighbor

I have carried a machine for 10 years now. I just upgraded to a Brother Inovis 1250 with a 5x7 embroidery arm. I piece quilt tops and then quilt them during the winter. I have my machine in a rolling sewing machine tote. The embroidery arm is in another tote which holds the arm and hoops. I bought a quilters tote years ago from Joann's, it holds rotory cutters, rulers, a folding mat (I acurually have two), a small travel iron (I use only in emergency since I have a standard iron tucked away), and all the extra notions needed to have a complete sewing room. I packed that tote full! I have a Rubbermaid tote with threads, both sewing and embroidery. If I am going to embroider, I make sure I pack only the threads and stabilizers needed (otherwise I pack so much I may need an extra trailer). I planned out the locations for storage for both convince and safety, as I do not want to remove everything to get to the machine nor do I want it bouncing or rolling around. I made an ironing mat as shown by Jenny Doan from Missouri Star Quilt. I store that beside the bed. My husband is a semi-professional racer, so we travel several weekends a month. This machine has been a life saver in many ways. Not only do I have something to do when we have rain days, but I also use the machine to repair racing uniforms and parachutes. I was actually picked up by a racer, driven by golf cart to his pit area and repaired his parachute while it was attached to the car. The press was there covering a story about him and they were fascinated by what I was doing!
We do travel in a 43 foot motor home, but space is still at a premium.
Good luck with your projects and have fun! Traveling and sewing is such a great combination! You will find sewing friends everywhere!