View Single Post
Old 08-01-2013, 01:02 PM
Quilter 65

Default Bold, Bright, Busy and Colorful, I hope

My goal is to gift each of six grandchildren with a quilt at Christmas. This is No. 5. The next one will be much easier, hopefully. I am thinking Irish Chain. This is the hardest quilt I have done.

This is a design by Derek Lockwood and asks for at least 36 fat quarters. I really liked the pattern example in blues, mauves, and pinks which are my colors. They aren't the colors for my DGD who looks sensational in oranges, lime, and those colors. So this is way out of my comfort zone. The pattern is called Celestial Garden. It will be handquilted.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]427667[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]427668[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]427669[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]427670[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]427667[/ATTACH]

The pattern uses stripsets and paper piecing for the inset blocks. This is the first time I have paper pieced to this extent. Have previously done a few flying geese and one-quarter practice block for Solstice. Used batiks, and Jinny Beyer fabrics and some Stonehenge. The star components were challenging to make all those points match and not slide when sewed. I used glue, pins, and even basted which I am not too fond of so you know I was desperate. The biggest challenge was where all the points came together in the Y seams. I am very familiar now with those! Lots and lots of them in this pattern. I hope you like my quilt top and that you will all have a wonderful weekend.
Attached Thumbnails 100_3335-small-.jpg   100_3332-small-.jpg   100_3333-small-.jpg   100_3334-small-.jpg