Old 08-01-2013, 05:22 PM
SemiSweet

Red face Quilted Bag/Purse For My Mom (with tute!)

I took the scraps that I made while learning to FMQ to make a bag! I used no pattern on this one, so I was pleasantly surprised at how it turned out.

Basically what I did was this:
1.) FMQ'ed an 11" x 15" piece of scrap, two 13" x 15" pieces, two 11" x 13" pieces.

2.) On the front 13" x 15" piece, I sewed on a pocket on the front (7" x 9" FMQ'ed) and a pocket on the inside of the front side (I used a piece from an old button-up men's shirt so I could have a smaller pocket on top of the bigger pocket that I sewed).

3.) Next I sewed them all together in a box shape (minus the top) with zig-zags. Start with the bottom pieces, then stitch up the sides to make them look best.

4.) Zig-zagged the top (to prevent fraying and make it sturdier) and added a binding to the top.

5.) For the straps I cut two 3" x 24" pieces, folded a piece of batting to fit inside and carefully pinned and stitched it so no batting showed. These straps should be comfy for those that like to fill their bags a ton like my mom.

6.) To attach the straps, I zig-zagged them, so the frayed edges were facing the top of the bag (only a quarter inch or so down from the top) then flipped it to face the right way to zig-zag a few more times for extra-sturdiness.

7.) I sewed on a small "snap" type button on either side to allow for the bag to be expanded or look cute while small.

8.) I added a small flap and button to the front to help hold the purse together. Cut a 10" x 3" piece, fold in half (right sides together, wrong sides out) and stitch a seam on each side (leave the top open and the bottom alone because it's the folded part). Flip it right side out and iron flat. Make a button hole on the folded side. Sew the unfinished edge onto the back like you did the straps (maybe 3" down from the top). Sew on your button.

9.) I added embroidery for looks, but this isn't needed.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]427705[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]427706[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]427707[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]427710[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]427708[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]427709[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails unfinished-top.jpg   unfinished-top-2.jpg   done-open.jpg   done.jpg   shoulder.jpg  

done-inside.jpg