Old 08-01-2013, 06:25 PM
Macybaby

66-1 Back Clamp Attachments

This is the only machine these will fit.

This is my earliest set. Found these at a junk shop in an old candy box for $3. This place is on a major tourist route and the owner said they had been there for a long time.

The Manual is from 1907 for a 27 - so it shows them that fit that machine and are side clamp - but you can tell they are the similar. The tucker and ruffler are significantly different. I am missing the middle size hemmer.

This is the set that came with the 1909 machine.

I do have a almost full set for my 1922 vintage machine, but did not take a picture of them all together.

Four styles of back clamp rufflers. The youngest has the two slot adaptation. BTW- all of these are newer than the puzzle box types. Look carefully at rufflers - they have a detachable under plate - you remove that when you are going to use the shirring plate. I've seen plenty of rufflers missing that part.

Then the tuckers - the three on the right are very similar - the first says 'Patent 1913 on it" the other two do not. All three have a slightly different type set to the numbers.

Next the Hemmer and Binder. The older style had different size hemmers that fit into a Foot - and then Singer went to the adjustable hemmer. The older binder fit into the same foot the hemmers fit into.

With the binders - notice where the screw is located (BTW, the one on the left is the binder foot missing the binder part, you may see this quite often).

The hemmer foot - these two have the same part number and are almost the same. Interesting about the hemmer, in a lot of pictures of sets (including the puzzle box and drawer) it is not shown or listed. However in the instructions it shows the hemmer foot and states it is included along with the set. Maybe they considered that foot similar to the standard foot - came with the machine but not considered a special "attachment"

Quilting and Underbraider foot (remove the guide for under braiding). The one in the front is shown attached to the foot. It's the same as for the hemmers and binders, they all use the same clamping foot. if you get a set that uses a clamping foot- make sure that foot is there, or you can't use any of the other ones. I've seen several that are all there except the one foot that makes them usable.

Shirring plate and underbraider.

The back two look very similar, but do have slight differences in the way the parts are assembled. The front two attach the same way the cloth guide does, the back sets clip to the needle plate. The 15 and 201 have larger needle plates than the 66/99. The vibrating shuttle has an even smaller one, but it looks different enough you wouldn't be confused.

And for fun - these are my extra rufflers.

They are grouped together, and a few in the back are not Singer. A few are Puzzle Box vintage.

That little part in the front is the detachable piece. I have two that are missing that part, but it's not the same style as this one. If the ruffler won't stand up on its own, it's most likely missing that part. Sometimes the spring steel is broken off too.

I'm pretty sure the ruffler was the one part that no one ever lost out of their set LOL!!