Old 08-03-2013, 04:24 AM
DustysMomma

The fabric at the top, without butterflies, is home decor canvas-like fabric. It's one of those that comes on a long roll. I got about 5-6 yards for $15 on the online yard sale group that I help admin on Facebook. The lady just wanted it out of her house, since she'd bought it & then her daughter decided she wanted to do something completely different colorwise in her room. When I was looking to figure out what it was, I noted it's a discontinued pattern that the last place I could find where it had even been for sale it was on clearance for $15/yard, but they were out of it too. The butterfly fabric, there isn't much in the way of scraps, but I do have several yards of all 4 colors they make it in. I cut out exactly what I needed in 1 panel for this & it's the first project I've used it for. I have some tan canvas that I'd gotten in a lot I bought a while back, which I used for the parts you can't see to give it some oomph on the pockets so they won't droop too bad. Of course, that made it thick to sew, and I wasn't going to even attempt to top stitch it once I turned it. I figured asking the new machine to go through 8 layers was asking enough of it without going for 16 with all that heavy fabric.

As for the machine, it looks worse than it is. The 2 rows at the bottom are just to tell it what kind of fabric you're using. Between that and the stitch you pick, it comes up on the screen and tells you which foot to use and what size needle. The buttons just below the screen change the stitch width and length, and those below it are where you put in the stitch number. The ones to the right of that are where you go into the stitch selector, tell it to mirror the stitch or rotate it, and there's a button to go into service mode. The buttons to the right of the screen are direction buttons for picking stitches & monogram letters if you use a lettering stitch, and the functions for the embroidery to tell it about changing threads and such. One of the things I love, which my mother got a big laugh out of, is that I can sew fast without the machine having to be held down to keep it from jumping or moving around. She said if I was sewing that fast I needed it in a cabinet to hold it down.