Old 08-03-2013, 09:37 AM
ArchaicArcane

Originally Posted by plume View Post
Aaah, now I understand. Not sure if I pushed it though... I don't want to disassemble the tension again right now, since it works like a charm. But I'll keep it in mind in case, thanks for the explanation.
You wouldn't have to disassemble, just loosen that screw, push the whole assembly, then tighten, but I agree, "don't fix it if it ain't broke"

Well, I did You're welcome to stay w/ us, it saves a lot! If you ever want to consider this more seriously, don't hesitate to contact me, I mean it.
What a generous offer. I may just have to do that. It wouldn't be soon anyway, we won't go too far while our geriatric animals are still here, but after that, we're empty nesters

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
It would be so much fun to travel from place to place and stay with QB members wouldn't it. I bet you could at least all the way across the US maybe even go all the way around the world.
I bet I could make it a long way just going in an organizing people's stashes and tweaking machines. Gives new meaning to a mobile sewing machine repair business.

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
In all honesty no it should be sponsored by Tri-flow oil and some of the places that sell parts... but I doubt if they have any more money than we do...
-Some- of the parts places make money hand over fist. You know mark up is up to 500%? Depends on the part, some are 50%, but still. I learned that from the Singer store when they were closing and wanted me to buy it. If you owned your building and your stock.... That said, it's a side line / hobby for a lot of the others, like me, and I sure couldn't sponsor something like that.

ETA: that and I've never charged that sort of markup. I like to sleep at night.

Originally Posted by Sheluma View Post
I was just looking at a 1911 book called Singer Instructions for Art Embroidery, scanned by the LIbrary of Congress (http://archive.org/details/singerinstructio00sing). It has some beautiful color plates. It says "Place a small iron washer or a spool weight on the spool to retard the movement of the upper thread. A spool weight (No. 9537) can be obtained at any Singer shop." I wonder if that advice still applies.
I don't think the spool pin weight is still available (not in my spreadsheet anyway) but the weight is still valid advice. I was told by a OSMG to put a finger on top of the spool when winding the bobbin for a better, tighter, more consistent wind.