View Single Post
Old 08-04-2013, 04:20 AM
CarolynMT

Originally Posted by Cindy60545 View Post
First of all, beautiful quilt! Now to the quilting...... after reading the other posts & going back & studying it again, I don't see using gold thread. I think it will overpower it. What batting are you going to use? Look at the stitch distance for the batting. If you can get away with it, I'd just outline the 1/4 circles. Like you would go around applique. Definitely SITD all of the sashings. In the sashings you could do a small pattern of genko (?) leaves. There I think you could get away with the gold maybe. I think larger leaves in the border would tie it all together. Maybe a light stippling in the black & white area with their respective colors too. I know, a lot of thread changes for each pass, but worth it in the end.
My original thought was just to do a very simple design in gold thread along the sashing strips. Then do a nice border also in the gold. I havent found a good batting yet. the top is very heavy now. I actually have to keep it folded while waiting rather than hung like I do all my other tops because of the weight. I need something that will allow me to stitch up to 6in apart. the circle quarters are only 5ins in diameter, so I could get away with not stitching.

I also thought about doing a feather design in that black/white areas, but think everyone is right, the quilting needs to be very simple.