View Single Post
Old 08-04-2013, 07:14 AM
Cogito

Originally Posted by Angellight View Post
Oh did this one bring back memories...
Military husband was transferred to Florida, along with our family. Moved in December, and waited for our house to be built. I loved the lizards, as they ate the BUGS! In June of 1987, my mother came down for a visit. We had acclimated by then, and had not turned on our Air full time for the summer. She decided it was stuffy in the bedroom, and went to open the window. There was a Small gecko (maybe 4") on the screen which immediately changed her mind, because she "did not want that thing in the room climbing all over her!". I wondered if she would have preferred one of the flying Palmetto bugs landing on her nose? And, I am sure she would have had a "bit of a fit" if she had found the scorpions, or the snakes that we found on the patio.
Thanks for the memory as mom has been gone 7 years now.
Happy quilting!
Susan
Wow! All of this is bringing back so many memories...40 years ago, very young bride traveling with hubby for his job. First stop southern Georgia. Those *#€* palmetto bugs were EVERYWHERE! I could here them crawling the walls and one night I woke up to one crawling up my arm...it was about 5" long....or maybe 12"! Lol! I screamed and stayed up all night. I cried every night for two weeks just wanting to go back home to my safe NE where we only worried about tornadoes, hahaha! Then the next assignment....Southern TX. First night in the state sitting in hotel room and I looked down to see a scorpion between my bare feet! Boy did I panic...I jumped on the bed and for some reason I guess I thought they were invincible so was so surprised and relieved when my DH calmly crushed it with his work boot. Lol, guess I led a pretty sheltered life. This past year I had been listening to a coworker talk about her plans to retire to Costa Rica and how wonderful it is there. I talked with DH and said we should seriously consider....dreamed about it for several months until someone who had lived there said to me "that's great if you don't mind the bugs as big as your fist." That cured me right then and there! Can you tell I am bugophobic! Lol.