View Single Post
Old 08-04-2013, 01:14 PM
CarolynMT

I make table toppers or table runners. I just load a yard or two of coordinating (if possible) backing fabric, can use the 40" wide kinds. Then I do a few blocks with sashings around them, the center blocks are solid color. I select a contrasting thread so that I can see my quilting. And I also contrast the bobbin thread as well so I can see any issues. Then I use scrap batting. I load the backing fabric, put scrap batting down, place table runner down, then stitch all the way around. I practice what I want to practice, then roll add new table runner, repeat!

Also, you can just get plain muslin or even some inexpensive backing fabrics (Thousands of Bolts has $9.95/yd 108" fabric) when I do this to test a pantograph design, I generally get 4yds, cut in half, load one half on the frame, the other half I trim off about 8-10ins from 2 sides (use it for binding) I actually just posted a picture of one here, Parchment Eagles (http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...s-t227260.html)
It is a tad more expensive. However they have great 40"ish fabrics, you can always practice on 4yds of that and give to the animal shelter, they would be about that size.