View Single Post
Old 08-05-2013, 02:29 AM
ckcowl
Power Poster

since quilt patterns always use 1/4" seams (some even scant *less than* 1/4" seams) it is important to find & learn to use your 1/4" seam- some patterns don't go together well when you try to increase the seam allowance- can mean re-drafting the whole pattern. take a ruler with a 1/4" mark- put your needle down- with the foot up- place the ruler 1/4" mark even with the needle- then put a piece of masking tape (or something) along the edge of the ruler- marking the 1/4" --- I have one machine that seemed like the feed dogs were crooked or something- I took a stack of about 6 post-it colored tabs (they are about 3/4" wide by 1 1/2" long) stacked together- placed those along my ruler edge & taped them down so I had an edge to put my fabric against. then you need to do a little practicing- cut some strips of fabric 1 1/2" wide by 6" long- take 3 of them and sew them together along the long edge- then measure- the center strip should measure 1" wide. the whole piece should measure 3 1/2" wide. if not- look at your seams- determine why & try again- practice until you have good consistent 1/4" seams. not sure what you mean by your 1/4" seams wanting to 'pull out'--- if the stitches are coming out- you need to backstitch at the beginning & end to lock your stitches- if you mean the fabric is pulling *skewed* at the end of a seam- you need to slow down, pause & re-align the fabrics- sometimes it is necessary to use a pointy tool (some use the end of their seam ripper) to hold the fabric close to the end as it travels under the foot.