Old 08-05-2013, 03:55 AM
redmadder

Bisbee, AZ was the home of Walter Swan, famous for his One Book Bookstore. He wrote his memoirs but couldn't get anyone to publish them. Walter was one of the first people to publish his own book with a home computer and a few connections. His stories were about growing up in the area on a ranch and his older brother Henry, thus the title, Me and Henry.

Walter was in his seventies when his store opened two blocks from our house. My youngest, seven years old at the time, loved sitting in the store window, talking to Walter for hours. I've no idea what they talked about or why they enjoyed each other's company so much. I always knew where my child was. Everyone just assumed he was Walter's grandson cause they were always sitting in the window, jabbering away.

Their intense friendship endured over the years until we moved to Georgia. My son was devastated when Walter passed away. I asked him what they talked about and he couldn't remember. We are from a long line of story tellers so I guess they just told each other stories.

Last edited by redmadder; 08-05-2013 at 03:57 AM.