View Single Post
Old 08-05-2013, 07:00 AM
VickiNC

Hi.
I just bought a New Home treadle machine (craigslist). I haven't figured out out to post photos yet, but the cabinet looks exactly like the one Queen posted in message 39, and the machine looks like the ones posted more recently by cabbagepatchkid and Minerva.
I spent most of yesterday cleaning and oiling it (although I haven't been brave enough to try taking the faceplate off). It is running fairly well now, although still a little uneven. I have a couple of questions:
(1) I can't find a serial number anywhere. Is it supposed to be on one of the sliding plates down to where the shuttle bobbin is? Unfortunately, both of those plates are more deteriorated than any other place on the machine. I can read "------Running" and "Trademark" (with an animal between) on the top plate. On the bottom plate, I can read "Notice" and then something about cotton needles below that. Then "New Home," "S M (something) CO," then "Orange (something)," and finally "USA." Below that is really corroded, so if the serial number was there, it seems to be lost forever.
(2) Can anyone estimate when this machine was made? Even a range of years? I know it's hard without the serial number.
(3) There is an empty needle case in one of the drawers that says "Boye Brand" aize 12. Would that be the correct size needle for this machine?
(4) I've read that model A New Home machines (which is what I think this machine is) can have either narrow or wide shuttles. Where do I measure the shuttle to see what size it is? And can anyone tell me how to wind thread onto the shuttle? The shuttle winder on the front does turn when the machine is pedaled, but I don't know how to use it.
Thanks for any help!!
Vicki