View Single Post
Old 08-05-2013, 11:39 AM
Prism99
Power Poster

Originally Posted by #1piecemaker View Post
I don't have the magna bobbins so that tute didn't really work for me. I tried and tried it. bobbin wouldn't stay in and didn't turn until I put it on its edge. I just bought a bunch of bobbins too. I'm still working on it. I think I'm almost there!!!!
Not sure I understand. Do you mean the Jamie Wallen video? Because it doesn't use magna bobbins. When I tested my bobbin case after watching the video, I could *not* get it as loose as he gets his; the screw in the bobbin case fell out first! Also, I think when I tested I started with the bobbin case in my hand with the bobbin facing up; that way the bobbin does not have a chance to fall out during testing. The bobbin case does need to stand on end while doing the test. It's been awhile since I have watched the video (haven't needed it since I adjusted with the video), so maybe I am missing something.

I love the Glide magna bobbins too, but I also have no problem winding my own bobbins with Glide and using them (except I had to rig a better way to feed the thread to my bobbin winder).

My rig (Voyager 17) does not have a stitch regulator, and I have noticed that if I vary my speed the tension is not as good on large stitches; however, it's just a matter of me regulating my speed to be more constant, which is not a big issue for me.

I have read that several people have needed to replace their upper tension spring, which is not a huge problem but does require taking apart the upper tension in order to replace the spring. It's that wire spring that the thread goes through after the tension discs. The wire can lose its "spring" (no pun intended!) with age and use.