View Single Post
Old 08-05-2013, 06:37 PM
JudyMN

Default Metallic thread problems

I just finished a Christmas quilt with several fabrics having "Gold" in the design. I thought a golden colored thread would look nice for the stippling. After waiting in line for several minutes I asked two fabric cutters their thoughts about the color I chose. Both thought I should change to the metallic gold to make it shine. I did ask if the metallic thread would work. Both clerks said it should, so I put the polyester thread I had picked out back. As I was paying, I asked the cashier if the metallic thread would be ok for stippling. She did not know for sure, but asked the gal on the next register if the thread she held up would work on "Stiff Linen." I corrected her saying I wanted to do stippling on a quilt, not sew stiff linen. Unfortunately, I bought the thread since four people working at the fabric store agreed it would be fine. It was not! I am returning it tomorrow. It shredded after seven stitches.
What do you use for quilting a top with gold in the design? Mine ranges from white to green to red to black.