Old 08-06-2013, 04:00 AM
Krystyna
Swap Hosts

Default Anyone Have Experience with Modular Homes?

Yesterday we went to view a modular home in Long Beach since we will soon tear down our Hurricane Sandy damaged home and will rebuild. It was quite lovely but we really want to modify the one above so the second floor is a mirror of the first and we can have a rental apartment on top. The bottom floor is quite spacious - and is fitted with flood flow through flaps that are FEMA compliant. One one side there is a huge garage area that can fit three cars and on the other, an enormous space that I immediately envisioned as my future studio! Of course, with flooding concerns, nothing on the ground level would be covered under a flood insurance policy, so in the event that the unthinkable happens again, I figured we could run all the machines upstairs and hoist other supplies (fabrics and laces) to the ceiling of the studio using a manual Garage Gator lift system.

So ... wondering if any of you have lived in modular homes for a while, how you like them and were there any issues down the road. And what do you think of my garage studio idea?