View Single Post
Old 08-06-2013, 06:01 AM
Jratcliff

I have been making burp cloths out of flannel - double sided so the back of the embroidery is not seen. I wanted them to stay soft so I use iron on very light weight knit interfacing (half price coupon at JoAnn's) and iron on to the entire one side of the flannel. It is enclosed in the seams so I am not worried about it loosening up with washing. Doing the embroidery I do float a piece of WSS on the top. The flannel is washed prior to cutting/stitching, and then again after and there has been no puckering or shrinkage of the stitched area. If I were doing a single layer I think I would use a WSS stabilizer in the hoop and float another piece on the top. I have been doing very simple redwork type line designs and not a heavier applique type design. Jane
Originally Posted by deedum View Post
What kind of stabilizer should I use for items like burp cloths, kitchen towels? I was using a tear away but then I read where it doesn't hold up after washes. I am so excited, I got my janome 9500 to read designs from transfers now. I have only had this machine how many years, and just getting into this embroidery. I really need to slow down and read about all this. Up to now, I just been playing around with it.