Old 08-08-2013, 05:00 AM
jaba

Dusty'smomma is really depends on the market in your area. A good rule of thumb for me has been the cost of the material and supplies doubled. You never can recover your hourly wage, or at least here you can't. If the fabric costs $60, batting $15, thread $5..total $80 then I would be charging $160. If you can make it in 8 hours total, you're getting paid $10 an hour. Also depends on the pattern, if it's easy fine, if lots of cutting and pieces then I add more on for that. If I have to ship it they pay that on top of this price. It's kind of tough when you can get a quilted comforter at JCP for $49.95...............If you think it will bring you $ for your smaller items like placemats, table runners, etc. Then it's worth it, the smaller items are where you can make the cash. Easy to put together and not much time involved. There have been a couple of ladies around here that have advertised making quilts with a "you buy the supplies and I charge so much an hour". All good and fine but some people are faster than others and needless to say, they don't have their ad in the paper anymore so I presume they're not sewing too much.