View Single Post
Old 08-08-2013, 08:51 AM
missdemeanor

Default 1936 FW with no tension numbers

Hello, Is it considered a 'travesty' to replace the original tension assembly on a 1930's FW with a newer version with numbers? I had thought it was a cheap 'fix' to put a new, reproduction tension assembly on my 1936 FW---BUT from the reading I've done, the new parts aren't good quality. http://www.april1930s.com/html/tensi...er_sewing.html (This author says the reproduction tension assembly units are *not* good quality.)

Is there a way to mark the original tension assembly so you know where "normal" is, or do 1930's FW owners 'just go with the flow' and live without any tension numbers or marks? I have a similar question about the needle plate--is changing out the unmarked original for a needle plate with seam line marks a 'violation' of the originality of a 1930's FW?

Other than the BAD SMELL that I'm working on with a new felt pad, my little July 13, 1936 "Baby" just purrs and it has a delightfully perfect stitch. Just this morning, I completed a thorough oiling and greasing "ritual" and I realized that the belt is probably original and very cracked (yikes!), so I'm ordering a new felt pad and belt online. The prices for the felt pads varies a lot and one style is over twice as expensive because it has a rubber layer under the felt. What do people in this group recommend? Last question, what does this group think about the aftermarket LED replacement bulbs for FWs?