View Single Post
Old 08-09-2013, 09:24 AM
nanna-up-north

Default My newest quilting tool

I do a lot of my quilting on my own sewing machine. I love the way hand quilting looks and I do a few of those but I'm slow so I can't do all my tops by hand. I know many of you send off your tops to be quilted by a long arm person but I really can't afford that..... especially the custom look I like. So, I do my own custom quilting on the machine. But, I really hate having to spend an afternoon clipping all those thread ends on the backside of the quilt. I start my stitching by bringing up the bobbin thread so it's only the bobbin thread at the end that's the problem. And, I always miss a few, it seems.

If I have a lot of starts and stops, like on the quilt I'm doing right now, I need to snip the bobbin thread without taking the entire quilt off the machine. That means I have to reach underneath and snip that thread. Using pointy scissors is a problem...... snip-snip and there's a hole in the underneath!! ARRGH!!

So I had this bright idea..... I'd use the blunt ended scissors I bought for my GGD before she came for a visit this summer. She's 4 and I didn't want her using any of the pointy scissors I have. And, it is a GREAT solution for my snipping underneath problem...... no little holes..... I just run the thread across the blade and it's ready to pull back up for the next line.

Who knew such a simple, cheap tool would work so well for my quilting...... Happy Quilter, here.
Attached Thumbnails 00001.jpg