View Single Post
Old 08-09-2013, 11:36 AM
Cecilia S.

Default Needle Questions

Hi All,

On my Anker Phoenix/Baer Rempel Pfaff 130-knock-off machine (who I've named Ziggy, because all that is just too many names/words) the needles are round shank.

I have the needles which came with him. Oddly, there are two lengths. Why would some be shorter?

Can someone tell me how to determine which needle will -not- wreck your machine? I was stitching on a 90 needle, and all was well, but I switched to a 70 because of finer fabric, and thread nests abounded. I gave up and used a different machine.* Could be coincidence. I was only trying to sew silk and jersey. I was wondering where there any needle considerations of which I am not aware.

I am a very novice sewist, so really I know -very- little about different needles. I understand the difference between round shank and not, and that the needle groove needs to face me. However, I do not understand about other factors; needle style, length, anything else?

I once read that Singer needles are ever-so-slightly different enough from other needles so as to cause bobbin case damage if you use a non-Singer needle in a Singer machine. Or something to that effect. I am not using Singer needles here, but that fact (if it is true) had me thinking that needle length is critical, and perhaps I am missing a (pun-intended) point?

I thank you all in advance for any help/insight you can give me.

-C.

*Aha!!!! Justification for having 7 machines after all!!! ;-)