Thread: ironing batting
View Single Post
Old 08-10-2013, 07:22 PM
ruby2shoes

Default ironing batting

I am using a poly/wool blend batting and putting a quilt sandwich together using the Sharon Schamber method. Now my top is constructed of a gazillion little triangles all rather inaccurately cut and pieced due to a major dose of "newbie whoopsies". I have my top and backing wrapped around my boards but have noticed as I am unwinding the top to then baste my sandwich that my little triangles could do with another good iron. Now, if I unravel it from my board and re-iron I am concerned that the triangles will just wrinkle again as I unfold as I have already ironed the top twice. To me, it would be terrific if I could just "iron as I go" but am I going to damage the poly/wool batting underneath by doing this? In a perfect world the top wouldn't need this coaxing but this is my first effort at piecing and I just have to do what I can to make it look as good as it can be.

Should I find something to slip underneath the top section (and therefore on top of the batting) as I unwind it to protect the batting? There are no instructions with the poly/wool batting other than it has been pre-washed and pre-shrunk. All advice most appreciated.