Old 08-10-2013, 10:34 PM
miriam
Power Poster

Originally Posted by nanna-up-north View Post
Oh, you are bad, Miriam. Try to find the name of the book. I don't have many old sewing books but I go to a lot of book sales. ... DH reads 2-3 books a week. You never know what I'll find. That would be a fun book to have.

You are so much more productive than I am at cleaning up machines..... I don't have near as many as you, either. I do love trying to clean them up but need lots of help understanding what to do sometimes. Do you take the tension apart completely before you clean them?? and then put them back together??

I've already looked on sew-classic for the cord. It says it fits the 15-91 and some other 15-?? machine. It think it will fit the simple 15 as well.... maybe I can call them to make sure before I order and then find out it won't fit. I'll look in the back of the truck to see if the spool pin just fell out. It's pretty little, could have fallen through the spaces. But sew-classic has them for 59 cents..... not a problem.

The cabinet has some of the veneer loose and I'll have to decide if I want to remove/replace it, or just glue it back on. It looks like it sat in that basement too long..... man was that a job getting it out of that basement. It was heavy. DH said he's never helped me move a machine that heavy.... I told him , it's heavy duty, doesn't move around a lot..... he said, I'm sure it doesn't. ha ha. I got the stool, too. I had fun today.
I'm going to have to get the name of that book but I'll only pm you. We don't want too much competition trying to find one of our own... LOL

I clean as I go. I usually start by cleaning out the lint. If there is too much lint I save that for Lovie. She likes to clean out the lint. It is good for her to learn to clean it out. She does a fairly good job for a 6 year old. Isn't she cute? As I clean the lint I remove the bobbin case, shuttle, clean and then put that all back together. BUT I don't give that option to Lovie except for the Singer 15 or a clone. If the tension is in the shuttle, I adjust it at that time. Then I go on and clean the body of the machine. As I go, I remove the tension, take it all apart, clean it and put it back together. Those old 99s and 66s are so easy. I wish they were all that easy. The 15s were hard for me to learn but easy to work on because you can just pull them off the machine. I pull off the hand wheel, clean it up and put it back - I also test as I go. As I go I remove what ever I need to pull off and clean and put back. I don't pull everything off the machine at one time. I'm way to ADHD - things would never go back if I pulled it all off at once. I don't remove much of anything with Wilbur and Lovie. I just give them a few Qtips, rags, flash light, big screw driver, brushes and oil. They know what to do with that - the big screwdriver is for looks. He can't unto anything small with that and most things are small. That said, with that frozen up Singer 15 DH and Wilbur pulled the motor thinking that might be what was frozen. I was only giving Wilbur some old sewing machine oil since he is a wild man with oil. Yesterday I went back and used T-F after a few minutes of sludgy moving the machine rocked out of being frozen. I T-F it then I rocked the hand wheel gently back and forth until it moved - I wanted to get it a little bit unfrozen and then let Wilbur get it moving but all of a sudden it kicked and is turning freely. He understood time out.

Glenn is your man for veneer - and I have some for him to look at when he gets here - actually LOTS of it. He is going to have to stay a long time. Did you take the machine head out of the cabinet to transport? People are sssssssssssooooooooooo amazed when we do that. I haul around a screwdriver that just fits those set screws. I have a few of those desk cabinets, too - nice aren't they? I haven't tried to use one set up yet. I keep waiting until we move and it's been a year... I have a Singer 201 black chrome to go in my desk like that. She's a beauty and Glenn re-wired her last time he was here. I need to do a bit more clean up. Another one homes a Singer 301 - that one has a door that swings open and there are drawers behind. It is very pretty. I did not get lucky and get the benches though. I have another that is a knock off of those - I think it has an old Kenmore or MW godzella machine for it. the veneer is a bit loose on it. I have some other very nice cabinets and machines. I can't remember what - they all need to go away. Once I get them fixed I'm ready to do another one. I guess I'm not into keeping them. Well, except for a couple.

As far as your cord goes. If the light and foot control are on that same cord you can use the FW cord and foot control. The one you ordered should fit the FW, too. If it has another cord for the foot you will need a different cord.