Old 08-11-2013, 04:30 AM
nanna-up-north

Thanks, Miriam...... I do the cleaning of the machine in about the same order but I don't take everything off. I guess I should... one at a time, of course. I've never removed a tension to clean it. I just oil a cloth and run it between the discs. I know that there are instructions in the manuals about removing, cleaning, and returning the tensions but I'm a little nervous about it. If I can get the tension going well I just usually leave it alone...... clean what I can. I watched Muv's video about cleaning early on and was amazed at how clean I could get everything with metal polish and a piece of cotton string. Do you remember the old treadle I cleaned up? That was a job but everything works so nicely now. I have 5 machines that I bought last summer still waiting for cleanups..... since I broke my arm 2 days after we got home from the cabin last November I couldn't do anything till just before we came back up this spring. This summer I haven't gotten as many machines and my clean-up stuff is back down-state.

I do wish my GKs were closer..... They live 1500 miles from here, 750 when we are back down-state. Maybe the next time the GGD comes up she'll be old enough to tinker with the machines. She's 4 and a ball of energy.

I haven't decided yet if I will keep this machine up here or take it back with me in the fall. I originally wanted a 15 to do quilting but my DGD wants a sturdy machine so her DH can make some pillows. I have my original Viking that I gave her years ago that she might want that one back now...... I had to take it back and do a lot of repair because her roudy brothers messed it up. I'm kind of not wanting to give this 15 to her...... and it's so heavy to move around.

I was going to take the machine out of the cabinet to transport it but the foot controller was direct wired and the wire went through a metal plate in the side..... I didn't have many tools with me (I should have known better) and it was dark in that basement.... I sure don't want to take those wires apart and not know which one to connect back to what. So we carried the whole thing. I wasn't having any luck removing the drawers either. I need to figure out what keeps them from coming out. We put it in the well house. I have good lighting in there and plan to make it my repair station up here.

My DH isn't bad at repairing veneer..... he's done some of that on antique tables, etc. But, I'll have to check everything out in a couple of days. We have company coming up on Tuesday again. When you live on a lake, everybody wants to come fish!! And I have to order that cord and spool pin. I have time.