View Single Post
Old 08-12-2013, 04:11 AM
Barb in Louisiana

Originally Posted by peaceandjoy View Post
I made my sewing table from two cabinets from Lowes; I think they were $39 each. Wood across top w/cut out for acrylic insert from Dreamworld, shelf below to support machine. On each side is a wood strip running the width of the cabinet so that it could be screwed into the particle board side of the cabinet - the back of the cabinet was too flimsy to hold it. So then the shelf is attached to those.

Maybe try some of that rubber shelf liner until you can work on your solution (which sounds like it should work). I think I've seen folks post that using that has helped. It's got a little bit of padding to it, that might absorb some of the vibration?
Probably just me, but I would add a "cripple" support under your shelf, just like they do in doors or windows to keep the shelf from coming down. It doesn't have to go all the way to the floor, but it would keep your shelf from breaking loose & dumping your machine if the nails or screws work their way loose or the board possibly breaks in the corners where it is screwed/nailed together. Some of the inside molding for where ceilings meet walls would work too.