View Single Post
Old 08-13-2013, 04:57 AM
profannie

Default Should I buy this Bernina 831?

Hi,
After looking on my local CL (called Kijiji) for a year, I can say Bernina are very rare in my area; may be one showing every month or two, and usually in the 300$ or more range. For exemple, a 730 goes for 350$; a 830, 600$. Never saw any 930.
Last month I finally had some luck; I found a cute 707 minimatic for 100$ and I was quick enough to be the first to get it. One owner, mint condition, but very few accessories (only three feets). It just needed some oiling and it was ready to sew beautifully.
Then, last week, another Bernina showed up: a 807 for 200$. Not bad, but it didn't caught my attention. Then the machine was relisted for 175$; I checked again the picture and saw the machine was not red as the 807 is supposed to be, but black; I looked furthermore and found the number on the side: it's a 831.
The seller is located about 30 minutes drive from the city center, and to go there by public transportation would be a real pain. Also, I think the seller put her ad in the wrong category. This may explain why it was not snatched after a week.
I sent an email to the seller; it's the daugher of the owner. Her mother is moving and need to part with her beloved sewing machine. It is one of those full of memories (seller told me she and her sister made all their clothes on it) and it seems in mint condition.
The seller is open to negociation. I told her I couldn't know how much I could offer before trying the machine, see if it need any repair/servicing, and the exact number and type of accessories coming with it.
Sooooo... what do you think? Should I get this one? How much should I offer (a fair price for us both)? Or should I just be happy with my 707 and stop before becoming an addict ?

Here's the listing:
http://qc.kijiji.ca/c-acheter-et-ven...AdIdZ510143268

Last edited by profannie; 08-13-2013 at 05:03 AM. Reason: correction