View Single Post
Old 08-13-2013, 06:49 AM
mckwilter

There really isn't a "right" and "wrong" way to do any technique, though there are quilt police out there who will tell you that the only way is their way. Don't believe them (that is Rule #1). However, you will find through trial and error that there are "hard" and "easy" ways to do things. My first recommendation is to find a local quilt store in your area that gives beginning quilt classes. They will not only teach you the hows of quilting, but the whys. If you don't have an LQS, see if there is a quilt guild in your area. Most guilds bring in teachers and have workshops, so you will learn new techniques. However, guilds are notorious for breeding quilt police, so just remember Rule #1 above. Try everything; take classes; make samplers. You will find things you love and things you hate. But always be open to trying something you hate again. With age and experience, you may find that you have grown as a quilter and whatever it was you hated about that technique is no longer so bad. For example, curved seams are not my favorite thing to do, but I've taken a couple classes, and they aren't as bad as they used to be. And most importantly, have fun. If it becomes stressful, put it down and walk away. Read a book, take a bubblebath, start cutting a new project. Then, when you go back to it, it may be better. Welcome to our world.