Thread: I need advice!
View Single Post
Old 08-14-2013, 12:20 PM
ComeAndSew

[QUOTE=Sandygirl;6233361]Adding The Borders will help. You do have to measure the quilt top "correctly" for determining the length of each border. You measure the length of the top from the CENTER of the quilt. Not the edges! That is your measurement for the borders. Do the same for the width...from the center. You should be able to ease that extra inch into the border. Your pattern will explain this better than I just did.

your 85" center measurement is the measurement for the border on each side. It is a huge quilt....it should work out fine. I would "ease" the quilt top by sewing the border on to the TOP of the quilt. The feed dogs will do the easing. (Longer piece goes on the bottom when sewing). But keep an eye on it when sewing. I hope that this makes sense.

I am sure that others will have thoughts.
End quote

i had a helpful tip told to me to remember " longer piece underneathe" = baggy bottom 😊 helps me haha

i'm wondering if i can get away with a border cut crosswise rather than longwise on a small lap quilt ( 40" x 50") as i only have a piece of fabric 20" long by wof. ...? Any help on that please?