Old 08-15-2013, 06:30 AM
mckwilter

First, I would print the pattern and paste it together without the inner 1/4" seams to make a complete block. Then I would use a photocopier to enlarge that block to the size I wanted. You might need to take it to a Kinko's if you want it larger than 11" (11x17 paper). Make at least 2 copies -- one to cut and one to use as your master pattern.

Cut one of the patterns into all of the components, measure each piece, adding 1/4" around. Write the measurement for that piece on your master pattern. Do this for all the pattern pieces.

It looks like a lot of the pieces are the same size. For example, in Unit A, #s 6 & 7 are the same, #s 1, 3, & 5 are the same, and #s 2 & 4 are the same. In Units B & C, #s 1, 2, & 3 are the same and #s 4 & 5 are the same. In Unit D, #s 3 & 4 are the same, and when you sew #s 1 & 2 together, that equals #s 3 & 4. I would recommend that on the B & C units, instead of doing the triangles like the pattern, cut the pattern at the point of the triangle piece #6, splitting pieces #7 & 8 and forming two rectangles. The bottom rectangular unit that can be made with the Tri-Recs templates (this is one of the units that comprises the 54-40 or Fight blocks), and what is left of pattern pieces 7 & 8 will be a rectangle. In Unit A, pieces 8, 9, & 10 make a flying geese unit.

I hope this makes sense to you.