Thread: Cat spray smell
View Single Post
Old 08-15-2013, 07:13 AM
laynak

Due to last night's ordeal with our dog getting skunked and running back into the house (onto carpeting) to 'rub off the smell' -- OMG! I called the animal hospital and they advised to mix 1 qt. Hydrogen Peroxide, 1/4 c. baking soda, and 2-3 T. dishwashing soap (Ivory), put it on him and wait 5-10 minutes (I waited 5). Did this in the bathtub using an old washrag. Then, I rinsed him off and dried him off with old towels. That worked. He spent the night in his crate in the entry way. Then, we used Nature's Miracle on the carpet along with leaving baking soda on it all around overnight to be vacuumed this morning. I still smell the carpet in some areas. I understand NM has a carpet shampoo for odors and will go get that this morning. We have a dozen people coming over this evening. How convenient! I hope this goes away in time!! We immediately shut all room doors and our bedroom door to keep the odor out. Kept the windows closed too (stunk outside). We could still smell it. I kept a sheet over my face all night; my husband used Vick's Vapo-Rub below his nose a few times to overcome the odor so he could sleep. We'd used every scented candle we had in the house, had A/C running, fans/vents, whatever. Used some air freshener too. What a horrible night!!
This morning, first thing our dog did was go outside to check under the deck....Did he learn his lesson? I wonder....And did that skunk spray because 'she' has babies under there, as it's never happened before? I sure hope not! Anyone with remedy ideas, please advise!