View Single Post
Old 08-15-2013, 08:32 AM
Peckish

Originally Posted by romille View Post
So what do you guys use parchment and freezer paper for? Is it an alternative to the quilting tissue you trace a design on? I haven't tried quilting tissue/paper yet... just getting ready to do my first practice FMQ.
Parchment is non-stick and won't burn. It's fabulous when you're using fusible web because the fusible won't stick to it. It's cheap and available at any grocery store. I'll put a piece of it on my ironing board, then put my applique shapes on that, then another piece of parchment on top. The parchment sandwich will protect both my iron and the board from fusible web goofs. Parchment is the same paper backing that fusible web comes on when you purchase it.

Freezer paper (also cheap and available at grocery stores) is great because you can draw on one side, and the other side will stick to fabric when you iron it. I use it for applique shapes and patterns. I actually use it for garment sewing also; I draw or trace the pattern pieces onto freezer paper, iron it to the fabric, then cut. No pinning necessary. If I'm out of heat-resistant template plastic, I can make a template by gluing 2 pieces of freezer paper (shiny side out) to some cardstock, cutting it in the desired shape, and now I have a template I can use for pressing the seam allowances under on my appliques.