Old 08-16-2013, 04:39 AM
craftygater

i am doing the Rings that Bind quilt for my daughter. the circle before you fold over after sewing is approx 18" diameter with the finished "square" after joining and folding being around 12". Depending on how you sew they could vary. I haven't had a problem with sizing as long as the finished circles are very close to the same size. When I started it I was trying to do hand quilting in the centers but didn't like it. That was before I bought my embroidery machine. It is very easy to do and I am using my embroidery machine to do designs in the center before I sew together and fold over to complete the design. The embroidery designs are all white so they look good on both sides. The fabric I am using is a collection starting from the 70's that I have used for many projects including clothing for the kids when they were little. And yes, it has taken me 8 yrs and it still isn't finished. Alot of life has gotten in the way. plus I don't quilt every day. Sometimes not even every week. Too busy. She is asking about it so I guess I had better get it done. I plan on retiring next year so then I will have time to finish. I have 2 more behind it to complete too. One Courthouse steps for older daughters wedding using her wedding dress from 2 years ago and one for granddaughter who is only 2 but will need for her bed next year when she graduates to a big bed from her "car" bed.

Back to original question...I started a DWRing using the original single piece method. The pieces when connected were alot larger than the Rings that Bind works out to. The pattern I used was a single template for the peices then joined together to make the arches, circles and footballs etc. I got about 1/3 of the quilt done and decided I didn't want to complete it because I didn't want to do whole quilt quilting. I do the QAYG methods. Alot easier. I usually figure out how to divide the quilts into rows to quilt then add the next pieces and quilt etc. The arch that the Rings that Bind uses is smaller that what I have seen for the other versions of DWRing quilts.