View Single Post
Old 11-27-2009, 01:16 PM
barbsbus

I was a small child during WW11 and so most of my toys were made by my mother and grandfather. I had lots of cloth dolls and lots of matching outfits that were made with the scrapes from my clothes that my mother made me. I had several sets of Raggedy Ann and Andys and all the books, and she also made me all the animals characters in the books, yoyo clowns (my great aunts made me), puppets and marinettes (my grandfather and mother made), Wooden stilts ( grandfather made quite a few sets which increased in height as I grew) Wooden sleds (we lived in New York and it snowed) Barrel hops my bothers and I would roll using a stick. We had a huge box of building blocks my grandfather made us.
Grandfather used make me dolls using coconut shells for the heads and sticks for the bodies and arms and legs and I would dress with my doll clothes. We had hobby horses and rocking horses and lots of pull and push toys made by my grandfather. I also got sewing cards (simple outline pictures that had holes drilled about 1/2" apart that were painted on thin wood panels and long boot shoe strings that I would lace in the holes. I have seen cardboard versions and got some for the grand daughters 20 years ago. I think I am going to make some of these for the great grands when they are a little older. I also had wooden puzzles that my grandfather used to make. He cut them with a jigsaw but I make lots of these using my scrollsaw.