View Single Post
Old 08-17-2013, 08:26 AM
feline fanatic
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Mitch's mom View Post
This is a serious question. If a person can't draw (Me!) is there any hope of them becoming a decent quilter? I can barely sign my name legibly let alone draw a motif!
Absolutely! You can trace a design. If you have access to a photocopy shop they can enlarge or reduce designs to the size you need and then you can trace it. You can get an overhead projector that enlarges and pin your quilt on the wall, project your design on to the quilt, trace it then follow the line quilting. Well placed loops like lower case cursive L's and cursive E's make great fillers as do back and forth lines. Pebbling is nothing more than a bunch of circles butted up against each other and I think they look better when they are all different sizes. Do not under estimate the power of texture several narrowly spaced squiggly lines give. Stencils are great and I use them regularly.

If you can trace then follow the drawn line with your needle (either LA or DSM) if you can place a squiggly line in between two straight lines, if you can make a loop or a circle (even lopsided) you can be not only a decent quilter but a great one!