Old 08-19-2013, 08:06 AM
kellen46

Default simple quilted tote

Here is what I do for quilted bags. Regardless of the pattern for the purse, make your quilted fabric first. I take the patchwork I want to use, or just one fabric piece, as you wish and quilt it down to some cotton batting, such as hobbs or warm and natural. I can quilt it with the batting next to the feed dogs and have no problems. Then I use a separate piece for the lining. Sometimes I use up batting scraps by connecing them up to the right size. Quilting a small piece, half yard, is easy and good practice for getting your stipple or meandering done well. I have a simple pattern for a tote. It uses two half yards. Quilt up one half yard. Cut 3" off the top of each piece, that is the short side. Four strips 3" by approx 18". These will be your handles. stitch up the handles making a tube of quilted fabric, open at both ends, center handles on right side of quilted fabric....18"side. I usually just consign the lining piece to the scrap bin. Pin the handles in place, place lining over this so right sides are together with handles inside. Stitch through all layers across this sandwich, at the tops. Open it out and you will have a sort of tube. Place rst of lining, and then of quilted layers, leaving an opening for turning on lining side. Make sure that both top seams are lined up exactly. Turn to right side. stitch up lining opening with one eighth seam. tuck lining inside and top stitch around the bag top to help keep the lining inside the bag. Alternately you can box the bottoms.